The IAM team is specialized in certain cutting-edge techniques in analysis and data processing for microbiology:
1) We have developed flow cytometry for single cell in analysis and in cell sorting modes. Through our collaborations, we study very different microorganisms ranging from phages, to bacteria (E. coli, Salmonella, Pseudomonas, Myxococcus, Staphylococcus, Bacillus, Caulobacter, Sinorhizobium, Lactococcus, Lactobacillus, Clostridia, magnetotactic) but also eukaryotes Tetrahymena, Chlorella, Galleria, etc. Our projects range from transcriptional study with a reporter gene, to measurements of the effects of drugs or antibiotics, measurements of cell energization, mortality, DNA copy number and cell cycle, biosensors, sporulation, predation between bacteria, endosymbiosis, cell sorting with fluorescent marker, physical separation based on the size of the microorganisms, etc.
2) A second part of the activities concerns the measurement of dissolved gases (O2, H2, NO, H2S, CO2) by polarography with Clark type electrodes or with non-invasive optodes.
3) We can establish continuous growth by varying the O2 concentration from 0.01% (nanoaerophilie, microaerophilie) to 100% (oxidative stress, super aerophilie) using a mass flow gas mixer, an immersed probe very sensitive to O2 and a device developed in the laboratory.
4) We have a spectrophotometer with double beam on the same cuvette for diffusing biological material, of the stopped-flow type adapted to fast kinetics and also capable of recording samples in liquid nitrogen in order to increase the spectral resolution.
5) Finally, advices and statistical analysis of data obtained from any biological experiments.